Sunday, March 27, 2011

In My Mailbox #8

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren where you can talk about the books you bought or received this week.

So this week I got...

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:

With her father imprisoned, 15-year-old Meredith thinks she could live out her high-school days safely, but when he is released early for good behavior, her security is shattered. A popular youth baseball coach, her father has abused Mer as well as other boys and girls. With strict orders that he not be left alone with his daughter, he is returned to the condo complex where she and her mother live. In contrast to Mer's terror, her mother is giddy with delight at his return, and together the reunited couple plans to conceive another child. Yet in the shadows and stillness, Mer's nightmare begins anew.

I've heard great things about Laura Wiess's writing, so I'm excited to finally read one of her novels!

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:

Craig Gilner is a gifted 15-year-old boy who works hard to get into a fiercely competitive high school, then crumbles under the intense academic pressure. Blindsided by his inability to excel and terrified by thoughts of suicide, Craig checks into a psychiatric hospital where he finally gets the help he needs. Vizzini, who himself spent a brief time in psychiatric "stir," invests his novel with great emotional honesty. A graceful, skillful, and witty handling of a sensitive issue, this is an important book we heartily recommend for older teens.

This is another one I've read great reviews for, and it sounds interesting, even though I don't really get the title...?

Bloom by Elizabeth Scott
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:

Lauren has a good life: decent grades, great friends, and a boyfriend every girl lusts after. So why is she so unhappy?
It takes the arrival of Evan Kirkland for Lauren to figure out the answer: She's been holding back. She's been denying herself a bunch of things (like sex) because staying with her loyal and gorgeous boyfriend, Dave, is the "right" thing to do. After all, who would give up the perfect boyfriend?
But as Dave starts talking more and more about their life together, planning a future Lauren simply can't see herself in -- and as Lauren's craving for Evan, and moreover, who she is with Evan becomes all the more fierce -- Lauren realizes she needs to make a choice...before one is made for her.


Even though this one doesn't sound as powerful as the other books I've read by this author - Love You Hate You Miss You (review) and Living Dead Girl (review) -  I loved Elizabeth Scott's writing in both, so I hope I'll still enjoy this one.

What was in your mailbox this week?

13 comments:

  1. Nice books! Such a Pretty Girl sounds interesting to me :)I only got one book this week. :( Saving money! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate stories like the first one. :-( I mean, the stories themselves are written wonderfully, I just mean I can't stand when stuff like that happens. :-(

    Check out what came in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've so much about Elizabeth Scott, I got Between Here and Forever this week, it will be the first book by her I've read :) Happy reading!

    Bella
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, nice contemporary selection! It's great to see contemp getting a stand when paranormal is all over the place. :)
    (And I feel guilty about leaving links in the comments, but... here's my IMM.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I can really sympathize with IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY. Academic pressure is crazytown. I'd never heard of it before; looks like I'll have to pick it up! I agree with Eden: it's great to see contemporary lit getting the attention it deserves. =) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover of Such A Pretty Girl! The black background and the dead rose in the middle(:
    but I hope you enjoy reading you rnew books!:D
    lisa
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such A Pretty Girl has an awesome cover! I would call it pretty.. but the rose is dead. I guess it is still pretty :)

    Great haul! Enjoy! :D
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep meaning to pick up Bloom from the library, and I always for get it. I look forward to seeing what you think of these books! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SUCH A PRETTY GIRL is a good read. intense, emotional, and challenging...but still a good read. i look forward to reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great books this week. Elizabeth Scott is one of my fav authors I loved Bloom. I read Such A Pretty Girl this week - it was very good.
    Happy reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-my-mailbox-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set! I love the cover for Bloom. It's Kind of a Funny Story sounds interesting.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by! I hadn't heard of it until the goodreads contest either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a Pretty Girl was such an AMAZING book...if you enjoyed Living Dead Girl (well, not *enjoyed*, but you know what I mean), you'll like this one.

    Haven't read Bloom yet, but I'm on a mission to read everything Elizabeth Scott's ever written, so I plan to soon!

    Great stuff, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...