Monday, March 14, 2011

Review: Freefall

Freefall by Mindi Scott
(Amazon / Goodreads)


Goodreads description:


How do you come back from the point of no return?
Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend, Isaac, alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time when Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn't wake up. Convinced that his own actions led to his friend's death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely.

Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he's ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth soon realizes he isn't the only one who needs saving . . .


My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book – it made me feel sad and happy within a few pages. I was expecting it to be very dark, dealing with Isaac’s death and alcohol abuse, and it did portray Seth’s grief and struggle beautifully, but most parts of this book just made me happy – the humor was great and made me laugh out loud. It reminded me a bit of Looking for Alaska by John Green – serious and emotional at times, light and funny at others.

Usually, it’s kind of hard for me to relate to a male main character, but Mindi Scott’s characters were great, so that wasn’t a problem. Seth was a realistic, likeable character with believable challenges. All of the characters were beautifully written and three-dimensional – especially Rosetta and Kendall were believable, complex characters, and their relationships were realistic as well.

My favorite part of the novel was the romance between Seth and Rosetta – it was just so cute! All of their scenes made me smile. Their relationship evolved very naturally. I particularly appreciated that the author mentioned, but didn’t focus on the rich-girl/poor-guy aspect, because that storyline really annoys me when it’s overdone.

I also enjoyed the scenes during the IC class – I want a class like that!

When I read the description of this book, I thought Isaac’s death would play a much bigger role than it did, and while I enjoyed the other storylines, I think the book could have used a few more flashbacks, etc. – I never felt like I knew him as a character. I enjoyed how Seth worked on his grief with Kendall, but didn’t think it was all that realistic how little everyone else cared about Isaac’s death.

I was a bit disappointed by the ending – it was a good ending and made me smile, but I wanted to know more, especially about Rosetta and her progress with her issues.

I definitely recommend this book! It really makes you feel something – the main character’s good and bad feelings. While some parts were underdeveloped, in my opinion, the characters and writing were great, making this debut definitely worth reading!

17 comments:

  1. It's good to know this isn't too dark as I will often avoid books like that.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this book had a great balance of humor and emotional parts. Seth was a fabulous protagonist. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description makes it sound so dark. Glad to hear it's not. I'll be adding it to my TBR list.

    Also, thanks for including a link to Goodreads in your review. It makes adding it to my list so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this book was fantastic- I can't wait to read more by Mindi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freefall is one of my favorites! Lovely review, it definitely hit on all of the main parts. I agree about there being a bit more flashbacks, but it was still just awesome. :)

    Btw, I'm here from the comment exchange program! I'm glad I found your blog, it's wonderful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review! I love that you compared it to Looking for Alaska, i just loove that book! I definitely want to read Freefall soon, I've been eyeing it since its release :p
    ps~dropping by from the comment exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great. I love richly drawn characters. I also love books that make me feel a wide range of emotions. What is IC class?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Alison: IC stands for Interpersonal Communications. It's basically a class where they learn to communicate with others, but in really weird ways xp...What they do sounds really interesting, though (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have been reading about this book, but your review has me putting it on my must read list. would love to win it. You did a great review mitzi_wanham[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book lookw really good. I didn't hear about this one but story is really interesting.

    sykorova.p@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard the main character in this book is totally amazing. I'm really excited to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds good. I have to admit honestly that I am 44 and have a Young Adult daughter. I am not to much into young adult books unless they really sound outstanding to me. Why? I get enough of this dramna from my 18 year old! LOL!! But, this book honestly sounds good!
    Honestly, again, these days, like as in this book, you hear SO much in real life about this kind of stuff happening, to me, it's almost overwhelming, if anyone can understand that? When I was a Young Adult, all this probably 'did' happen, but it was kept hush-hush, as it was and is disturbing at times. It is good that it is out now, especially for other teens to be able to relate, but as an 'old person', it pains me to see what kids go through these days. Am I turning a blind eye? No, not with my daughter telling me all her stories of her friends. It just breaks my heart a lot, when it shouldn't have to be certain ways. That is why it IS good these books ARE written so some know they CAN get OUT! if they have to. What I know now, what I didn't know then! And, the teens don't want to listen or talk to much to us 'old people'! We don't have lives!! LOLOLOLOL!!! But, when I was a teen, that IS how I felt, too! If only "I" had been open to listening to an 'old' person! LOL!
    Thanks SO much!
    Laurie Carlson
    www.lauriehere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG This book sounds amazing and i <3 the cover!!! I've been seeing it around Goodreads and now i NEED this book....i need to find out what happens! Nice Review and Happy Reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I've heard such great things about this book, I definitely need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've wanted to read this book since forever but your review makes me want to read it even more now! :D I just hope that the ending won't be THAT disappointing :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all these helpful reviews! I was thinking about getting Living Dead Girl or Such a Pretty Girl, but after I read your review, I new those books weren't for me. This one, however, IS. Thanks so much!!!

    Shana @ A Book Vacation
    abookvacation@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, I can't wait to read this. It's good to know it's not as dark as it sounds

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...