Sunday, March 13, 2011

In My Mailbox #7

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren where you can talk about the books you bought or received this week.

So this week I got...

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:

Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox has just awoken from a year-long coma — so she’s been told — and she is still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. But what happened before that? She’s been given home movies chronicling her entire life, which spark memories to surface. But are the memories really hers? And why won’t anyone in her family talk about the accident? Jenna is becoming more curious. But she is also afraid of what she might find out if she ever gets up the courage to ask her questions. What happened to Jenna Fox? And who is she really?

This book has been on my wishlist for ages, and I finally got around to buying it this week. The concept seems interesting, even if it's not all that new, and I love books about figuring who you are, so I'm excited to read it!


Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Goodreads description:

Raised in a religious - yet abusive - family, Pattyn Von Stratten starts asking questions - about God, a woman's role, sex, love. She experiences the first stirrings of passion, but when her father catches her in a compromising position, events spiral out of control. Pattyn is sent to live with an aunt in the wilds of Nevada to find salvation and redemption. What she finds instead is love and acceptance - until she realizes that her old demons will not let her go.

I loved Ellen Hopkins's style in Crank and Glass (review), so I'm excited to read another one of her books.


Same Difference by Siobhan Vivian
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Amazon description:

Emily's life reeks of the ordinary: she lives in suburban New Jersey in a posh gated community and hangs out at Starbucks with her friends in a town where most of the buildings are old, and if they're not, they're eventually made to look that way. When Emily heads to Philadelphia for a summer art institute—complete with an eclectic cast of funky classmates and one dreamy teaching assistant—she faces the classic teen dilemma of whether to choose the familiar over the new and exciting, while figuring out who she really is: Emily from Cherry Grove or Emily the aspiring artist? Vivian serves up the story with vivid description and dialogue; the author's talent for scene-setting and evocative imagery is especially effective for a story about a girl just discovering her eye as an artist and herself as a person.

I've heard great things about Siobhan Vivan, but I haven't read any of her books yet because of the embarrassing covers. I know, I know, don't judge a book by its cover, and all that, but... Okay, I don't have an excuse. I do judge books by their covers sometimes. This book's cover is nice, though. If I enjoy Siobhan Vivian's writing, I might be able to ignore the covers and read her other books anyways.

Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:As a pastor's kid, it's hard not to buy into the idea of the perfect family, a loving God, and amazing grace. But lately, Sam has a lot of reasons to doubt. Her mother lands in rehab after a DUI, and her father seems more interested in his congregation than his family. When a young girl in her small town goes missing, the local tragedy overlaps with Sam's personal one, and the already worn thread of faith holding her together begins to unravel.


This is another author I've heard a lot about but have never read, so I'm escited to read this one. And, I hate to talk about covers again, but I love this cover - there's just something about it; it's both beautiful and depressing at the same time.


What did you get in your mailbox this week?

11 comments:

  1. I loved Adoration of Jenny Pox. I hope you like it too. Happy reading!

    Here's my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover on Adoration of Jenny Pox! Enjoy your reads - you can find My Week Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff this week! I like the new cover for Jenna Fox, that was a great book, as was Once Was Lost. I know I read Same Difference (I did a Teens in NJ booklist), but I can't remember if I loved it, or just liked it. Will be interested to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great books this week! I loved The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It was a wonderful story. My YA mailbox is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to love all of these books. I'm a huge Hopkins fan too and devour all of her books. Burned is a good one. Impulse is my favorite, if you haven't yet, you should add it to your wish list.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just found your blog! I've heard good things about The Adoration of Jenna Fox, and it sounds really interesting. I can't wait to hear what you think of it! Great mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mailbox! I haven't heard of a few of these, but I'm looking forward to checking them out! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH man, i've been wanting to read "adoration" forevah! looking forward to reading your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four great prospects! I have Once Was Lost on my Kindle, but haven't read it. I'm really intrigued by The Adoration of Jenna Fox. It will be going on my TBR list. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...