Sunday, June 03, 2012

Review: The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg


Title: The Lonely Hearts Club
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher: Scholastic
Release date: January 1st 2010
Pages: 290
Genre: Contemporary YA; romance
Source: Bought
Add to Goodreads | Purchase from Amazon
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows: no more. It's a personal choice. . .and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born: The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways . . . which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like. . .
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars


First off, I love the cover of this book! It's so cute, using the Beatles theme and giving it a feminine twist - fits the book perfectly!

Penny is a great MC. She's funny, endearing, and just plain easy to like. I could easily relate to her, and I just loved her voice. I admit there were a few times Penny's cluelessness and seeming incapability of just being happy irritated me, but overall, I loved her as our main character. I loved the rest of the girls in the Lonely Hearts Club, too, and I like how each of them has their own story - I would have liked to know even more about all these girls!


And Ryan. Ryan is just so adorable! I loved Ryan. He's not the best, most complex character ever, but he's just so cute, and Ryan and Penny are adorable together. Their cluelessness frustrated me a little, but it was also kind of endearing. And necessary, since there wouldn't be much of a plot without all the drama.


The Beatles references are fun, too. I don't know all that much about the Beatles because I'm too young, I guess, but I still liked that aspect of the story. Penny's parents are totally obsessed with the Beatles, causing for some very funny moments. Parts of it are a little exaggerated, but I didn't really mind.

The message in The Lonely Hearts Club is great. I thought it might get too preachy, but it seemed very natural and worked well with the story. Yay girl power!


The Lonely Hearts Club is just so freaking adorable. Really, that's the only way to describe this book. It's not the best-written, most meaningful book I've read, but it's pure fun. It's a cute, quick read - the perfect feel-good book!

What are some of your favorite lighthearted, feel-good books?

5 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I've got check this out! I also love the Beatles theme on the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cute! I want a copy! I love the sweet stories of girls banding together etc. :D

    And apologies if I hit enter and Disqus messes up my HTML.

    ComaCalm's Corner =^.^=Corner =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Beatles-inspired cover. I'd totally read it just for that. But even better, the synopsis sounds fantastic. I'm not a huge contemp fan, but I'm working on broadening my horizons. The great cover, synopsis, and your review have convinced me to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never saw this one before. Awesome review! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I read this a while back and I thought it as super cute. I also liked the Beatles references even though I don't know much about the band. It's a perfect summer read too :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...