Thursday, June 07, 2012

Trends in Contemporary YA #4: Music


Trends in Contemporary YA is a feature I do on a semi-regular basis. In each post, I talk about one trend in contemporary YA, whether or not I like it, and give some examples of books for this trend. You can check out some earlier posts in this feature here.


The links will take you to the Goodreads pages.


This week's topic is: Music!


Usually, I really enjoy reading books dealing with music - I just love reading about it! My only problem is that, sometimes, you need to know too much about a certain music scene to understand what the characters are talking about, which I don't. I especially like when characters make original music, since that means you don't need to know much about any particular genre of music. And because I love when a character's song lyrics are included in a book.


Here are some examples of music-focused books I've read and loved:



Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy
Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala


Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez
Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

And here are some music-focused books that I have not yet read but that look great:


Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway


Fallout by Nikki Tate
Guitar Notes by Mary Amato


Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers
Amplified by Tara Kelly

What do you think of books focused on music? Do you have any recommendations?

11 comments:

  1. Supergirl Mixtapes and Being Friends With Boys both sound like great reads (and I really like the cover for Supergirl...!). I read Where She Went, and I thought the music aspect was worked in really well. I like reading about characters who play music, or who are in bands, but I think it's hard to capture it on the page sometimes, and when it's done wrong it's jarring. But, on the other hand, when it's done well then it's great! Including lyrics and song titles is always fun. I'll definitely have to check out some of these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you--it depends on how much I know about the genre as to whether I like it or not.
    I just read String Bridge by Jessica Bell, which has a music theme. I really loved that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've listed a book that I've read and the rest are all books I really want to read, love it! I enjoyed Where She Went and I have heard good things about the rest, especially 5 Flavours of Dumb and I have that on my shelf to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Five Flavors of DUMB. And the music (even though I didn't know much about it) ended up captivating me enough to look most of it up.

    Don't breathe a word is another book that does it right, it doesn't come off as annoying and it was new to me too.

    But sadly most of the time, I don't know half the bands they are talking about and it annoys me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls has a strong music influence - Sam writes his own songs, and their usually pretty telling of how he's feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why didn't you include Saving June? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Audrey, Wait! You should totally read that one when you can. As a writer of a music themed book, myself, I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I must have forgotten, even though I love that book...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of that one, but I'm adding it to my wishlist! Thanks for the rec :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard great things about that series! Maybe I'll get around to reading it at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh I really want to read Five Flavours of Dumb! And I do have Where She Went on my TBR pile, but I'm not sure if I will get to it soon, because I didn't like If I Stay that much. Fab post!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...