Thursday, March 22, 2012

Trends in Contemporary YA #1: Road Trips

I've decided to start a new feature for trends in contemporary YA! In each post, I will talk about one trend in contemporary YA, whether or not I like it, and give some examples of books for this trend.


The links will take you to the Goodreads pages.


This week's topic is: road trips!


I love books about road trips. I've loved this topic for ages, and lately, I've been seeing lots and lots of books with road trips, which makes me very happy. There's just something about two (or more) people being together on a road trip that makes everything more intense - the emotions, the romance, the fun. Well, at least that's the way it is in YA books. I love road trip books because they always make me want to drop everything and go on a road trip myself (preferably with a cute fictional guy).


These are some road trip books I've read:





Two-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson



Paper Towns by John Green



Kiss the Morning Star by Elissa Janine Hoole
Saving June by Hannah Harrington


Crash Into Me by Albert Borris


And these are some road trip books I haven't read but that look great:



Reunited by Hilary Weisman Graham
Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown



Thou Shalt Not Road Trip by Antony John
You Are Here by Jennifer E. Smith


In Honor by Jessi Kirby
The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour


What do you think of books about road trips? Have you read any of these books, and if yes, what did you think?


Also, what do you think of this new feature?

5 comments:

  1. I've read Amy & Roger, Saving June. I love a good road trip book so I'll have to check out the rest of the books you've mentioned. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love road trip books! Thanks for drawing my attention to some I didn't know about :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read more road trip books, Hannah! I like this post so keep doing it, please. It's cool that you can travel with the characters and be on one place. Like A Walk To Remember (movie): "Be in two places at once."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia's ParticularityMarch 31, 2012 at 6:27 PM

    I am actually a little hesitant to read YA Contemporary Road Trip Books - honestly, I don't know why.  I have CRASH INTO ME and I loved Jessi Kirby's debut novel so I am sure to read IN HONOR but beyond that I guess the idea of sitting in a car for 'hours' with people is annoying.  Even though I know this is not the case in fiction, I'm still tentative.  Maybe that should be a mid-year resolution: read at least 2 or 3 road trip books!

    What was your favorite one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments :)


    You HAVE to read some road trip books! Yes, real-life road trips, sitting in a car for hours on end, isn't all that fun, but fictional road trips are so much better! I almost always end up loving road trip books, and you should definitely read some!  I really liked Crash Into Me, but I don't know whether that's the best road trip book to start with - it's more serious and depressing than most others, and I usually like how life-affirming road trip books are. My favorites are Saving June and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - both are amazing! They have some serious parts, too - in Saving June, the MC's sister committed suicide, and in Amy & Roger, the MC's dad just died - but there's also romance and all that fun stuff, so there's something in there for you whether you want something light or something more serious. Anyways, I really recomend those, and think those two would be good road trip books to start with :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...