Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Favorites: Favorite Books

For the last week of 2011, I'm not posting any of my normal reviews, etc. but do some lists of my favorite books of 2011. You can check out the earlier posts in the series here.


For the last post in the series I'm making a list of my absolute favorites of the year. I tried to shorten it as much as possible, but it's still too long - I just read too many amazing books this year!


The links will take you to my reviews.


Hold Still by Nina LaCour


I often don't even know yet how amazing a book is when I finish it, and only when I see I'm still thinking about it a week later do I see how great the book is. That's what happened with Hold Still - for some reason, I only gave it four stars, even though it's a five-star-book if I ever saw one. It's amazingly raw and honest and one of my favorites of the year!

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


The DUFF isn't as emotional as some of the other books on this list, but it's so, so much fun. The characters, the idea and the writing are amazing and made me fall in love with this book.


Brooklyn, Burning by Steve Brezenoff


This book is... just wow. It's impossible to explain how great this book is. It's subtle and beautiful - also the kind of book whose greatness you can't even see until after you've turned the last page.



My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult


I have the worst memory ever, and I often don't remember a thing about a book I read two years ago. That's probably why a lot of the books on these lists are books I read towards the end of 2011 - I just don't remember what I loved so much about the ones I read in the beginning. But My Sister's Keeper is the first book I read this year, and I still remember exactly what made me love it so much, and that's saying something. Emotional and beautiful, this is probably my favorite non-YA book ever.



Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John


Five Flavors of Dumb is one of the most life-affirming books I've ever read. It's just so much fun and made me want to get up and dance and just go crazy.



Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


I know, everyone has already read this one, but it's too amazing not to mention. I love the idea of merging Clay's and Hannah's stories. Thirteen Reasons Why is hauntingly beautiful.






Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


Twenty Boy Summer is just so beautiful. I know, that word is totally overused, but that's exactly what this book is. It's the perfect mixture of a sweet summer romance and an emotional depiction of grief. I want to hug this book and never let it go.



The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


This book has one of the best, most honest and beautiful portrayals of grief ever. I bawled while reading The Sky Is Everywhere - the feelings are just so real. It's not all giref and depressing, though - there's also some nice romance and a hopeful tone. An all-around amazing book!


Dear Bully


This is the only non-fiction I read this year, so maybe I'm not the one who should judge whether it's good or bad, but wow... The feelings are so raw and honest and inspiring. There's a story in this book for everyone!


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


My favorite romance of the year! I loved Anna and St. Clair - they're just so adorable! I loved how realistic everything about this book is and how it makes you feel like you're a part of the story.





Sweethearts by Sara Zarr


I don't even know how to describe this book. Sara Zarr's writing is so, so amazing, and she's now one of my favorite authors. The atmosphere in Sweethearts is incredibly well-done, and the story is just so sweet.


Saving June by Hannah Harrington


I love books about road trips, I love books about grief, and I love books about romance, and Saving June has all three of those things. Harper is such an amazing character and made me fall in love with this book.




It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini


Despite the serious topic, this book is so much fun. It's so full of beauty and hope and life and makes you want to make the most of every day.


So these are my favorites books of 2011! If you've read some of them, did you love them as much as I did? What are your favorite books of the year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...