Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #3: Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read Contemporary YA




Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish with a different topic for a top-ten list each week. You can find out more about it here.


The links will take you to my reviews.


This week's topic is:


Top Ten Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read Contemporary YA


I'm going to split this into two topics - one list for people who don't usually read contemps and another list for those who don't read YA.


Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read Contemps


1. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott


Stealing Heaven is so far removed from a regular person's life, it reads almost like fantasy.


2. dancergirl by Carol M. Tanzman


This one is really fast-paced and action-packed, so I think it would appeal to someone who reads more paranormal than contemporary.


3. Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John


The idea is crazy and also far away from a normal person's life, and I can't imagine anyone not having fun reading Five Flavors of Dumb.


4. And Then Things Fall Apart by Arlaina Tibensky


I'm not sure how to explain why I think this would appeal to non-contemps-readers; I just do. The style is so sweet and real, it almost doesn't read like a novel but like something your best friend is telling you (in a good way), and who wouldn't want that?


Books I'd Recommend to Someone Who Doesn't Read YA


5. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr


There's something about Sara Zarr's style that's just very mature, and I think her books could appeal to adult readers, too.


6. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (or anything by John Green, really)


John Green is the author who, more than anyone else, knows teens are not stupid. His characters and stories are all just so smart, and I think that would work with an adult audience.


7. Hold Still by Nina LaCour


I don't think anyone could not be affected by the emotion in this book. Caitlin's grief is so raw and real, I don't think it would even make much of a difference whether she's a teen or an adult.


8. Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert


Ballads of Suburbia portrays so many issues realistically, and I think it could offer some insight into the struggles some teens face today.


9. Brooklyn, Burning by Steve Brezenoff


God, how to explain this book? It's so real and smart, I can't think of an audience it wouldn't appeal to. The characters don't even have set genders, so what difference could their age make?


10. Dear Bully


Dear Bully offers insight into an important issue teens today face and adults have faced, too, and I think everyone could take something from reading such a heartfelt anthology.


These are some books I'd recommend to someone who doesn't read contemporary YA. What are your recommendations?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...