Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #22: Books That Made Me Think



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish with a different topic for a top-ten list each week. You can find out more about it here.

The links will take you to my reviews, if available.

This week's topic is: Top Ten Books That Made Me Think

1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I know, not exactly a creative way to start this list. But Speak is still one of the best issue books out there, so I thought I'd just get it out of the way and name it first.

2. Dear Bully

Dear Bully made me think so much about all the different sides of bullying; there are so many perspectives and ways of looking at it in this book that I'd never even considered before.

3. Butter by Erin Jade Lange

I'll be honest and say that I'm not the most tolerant person when it comes to obesity, and this book really helped me see what it's like.

4. Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

A book about incest is so taboo, there's no way it'll not make you think and change the way you look at things.

5. Brooklyn, Burning by Steve Brezenoff

It's hard to talk about Brooklyn, Burning without spoiling anything since everything in it is so subtle, but the gender conception and the way it's presented really made me think.

6. Hold Still by Nina LaCour

It's been a while since I read Hold Still, and I don't remember too much (terrible book memory right here), but I do remember that it really made me think about depression and suicide in a way that I hadn't been confronted with before Hold Still.

7. Hate List by Jennifer Brown

I'm not a huge fan of everything in this book, but I do have to give it credit for making me think. The idea alone is enough to force you to think about all the different sides of school shootings.

8. Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Yeah, Not That Kind of Girl is primarily entertaining, but the open and honest way sexuality and feminism are addressed in this book will definitely make you think.

9. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

There's no way you won't think while reading Jellicoe Road. Doesn't even matter about what; this book will have your mind spinning throughout.

10. The Selection by Kiera Cass

Okay, you're right, this is a weird choice for a books-that-made-me-think list. The Selection didn't make me think about life or important issues or anything like that, because that's not the kind of book it is. But it did make me think about our perception of literature, what we consider good and what we consider bad, just because The Selection has so much of both.

Those are some books that made me think - what about you?

6 comments:

  1. Nice list!! Speak and Hold Still are on my list too... and I almost put The Hate List on there too!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about Jellicoe Road!! <3 <3 And Speak - I've seen the movie and after 3 years I still think about it. I cried. Great list! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with so many on this list! Hold Still and Speak are up there, Hate Girl. I have Butter waiting for me on my Kindle. Not That Kind of Girl is a book I feel like so, so many girls should read. It touches on the good girl / slut dichotomy so well, even if it's not how I would have done it.

    Such great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't read Speak. I think it's because I'm afraid of the emotional intensity that I know will come with it. Haha I'll get over it one day and finally read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of some of these & I don't mind a think at all. Great to add to my reading list thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these books although I have a few of them on my wishlist, Speak being the top of my list. I've got Jellicoe Road waiting to be read here, I can't wait to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...