Saturday, December 29, 2012

Favorite Reads of 2012

I read SO many awesome books this year! I've read 140 books, and am hoping to read two more before the end of the year. That means I didn't quite reach my goal of 150 books, but considering how little time I've had to read lately, I think that's pretty good. Still, I'm going to need to get better at balancing classes, social life, and bookish stuff next year!

Anyways, here are my favorites of the books I read this year, in the order that I read them. I couldn't narrow it down to a top ten, so I'm doing a Top 12 of 2012!


1. How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

I read this one right at the beginning of the year, but I still think about it all the time. It's so beautiful and sad and heartbreaking but hopeful and just perfect. I wish more people had read this one - it reminded me a lot of Sweethearts by Sara Zarr, so if you liked that one, you should definitely give How to Say Goodbye in Robot a try!

2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Another one I read at the beginning of the year - right when it came out. And like the rest of the world, I loved it beyond words. John Green is one of my favorite authors, and this is by far my favorite of his books. It was everything you could a want a book to be. Just thinking about it makes me want to re-read the book immediately.

3. Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Wanderlove amazed me in how much a book can make you want to do things, to live. The beautiful descriptions of the places they go and the experiences they have made me want to drop everything and do something like this, too. Add to that the great story, and you have one awesome read!

4. See You at Harry's by Jo Knowles

This book made me bawl. And bawl. And bawl some more. Really, I can't remember any other book making me cry as much as See You at Harry's did. And I know not everyone thinks that's a good thing, but I love when a novel can affect me like that.


5. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

I am such an idiot for waiting so long to read this book - now I finally know why everyone is so in love with AS King! Please Ignore Vera Dietz is so subtle and simply amazing.

6. Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

Gone, Gone, Gone is a book I connected with on a really personal level. I don't even know how to explain it, it just helped me a lot; it felt like Hannah Moskowitz had somehow gotten into the ugly parts of my mind and turned them into a book, just for me, to make me feel less alone.

7. Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Moonglass is the embodiment of what I like in books. Really, if someone asked what kind of books I like, I should just give them this one, because it fits everything I like in books so perfectly.

8. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller

Oh, Something Like Normal. This was my most anticipated 2012 release, and it didn't disappoint. Trish Doller's writing is incredible, and this book automatically made her one of my new favorite authors. 

9. Personal Effects by EM Kokie

I wish more people had read this one. It's dark and real and beautiful, and I loved it.

10. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Along with the rest of the blogosphere, I fell in love with this novel. I'm not even sure what makes it so great, there's just that special quality about Huntley Fitzpatrick's writing that made me want to keep reading this book forever and ever.

11. Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Amelia Anne Is Dead and Gone is really different from the books I normally read. The style is a lot more sophisticated than I'm used to; the sense of atmosphere is stunning and the writing is breathtakingly beautiful. I loved it.

12. Live Through This by Mindi Scott

I just finished Live Through This a few days ago, and I'm still in awe. It's so honest and real and heartbreaking but sweet and beautiful at the same time.

What were your favorite reads in 2012?

4 comments:

  1. We have a lot of similar titles on our Best of lists :) My all-time fave was See You at Harry's, followed by Every Day by David Levithan and Ask the Passengers by AS King (if you liked Vera, try Everybody Sees the Ants, and then this one, you will love it!). I've had Gone, Gone, Gone on my TBR pile forever, this post just moved it up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for How to Say Goodbye in Robot! That book makes you feel all the feelings and I can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I have not read any of these yet. Added to my ever growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these, but there are at least three that I have on my TBR list, and I think I might be adding a couple more - How to Say Goodbye in Robot sounds brilliant! Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...