Sunday, February 20, 2011

In My Mailbox #4

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren where you can talk about the books you bought or received this week.

So this week I got...

Ominous (A Private Novel) by Kate Brian
(Amazon / Goodreads)

I'm not posting a description for this  book, as it's part of a series and I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Instead, I'll post the Goodreads description for the first book in the series, Private:

Fifteen-year-old Reed Brennan wins a scholarship to Easton Academy -- the golden ticket away from her pill-popping mother and run-of-the-mill suburban life. But when she arrives on the beautiful, tradition-steeped campus of Easton, everyone is just a bit more sophisticated, a bit more gorgeous, and a lot wealthier than she ever thought possible. Reed realizes that even though she has been accepted to Easton, Easton has not accepted her. She feels like she's on the outside, looking in. Until she meets the Billings Girls. They are the most beautiful, intelligent, and intensely confident girls on campus. And they know it. They hold all the power in a world where power is fleeting but means everything. Reed vows to do whatever it takes to be accepted into their inner circle. Reed uses every part of herself -- the good, the bad, the beautiful -- to get closer to the Billings Girls. She quickly discovers that inside their secret parties and mountains of attitude, hanging in their designer clothing-packed closets the Billings Girls have skeletons. And they'll do anything to keep their secrets private.

I'm both excited and sad about this book. I loved the Private series, but lately, the storylines have been getting unrealistic and far-fetched, especially in The Book of Spells. I hate that these girls are witches - to me, that ruined the whole series, as that means it doesn't take place in this world anymore. I'm not sure whether or not to see this series ending, as I don't want even crazier storylines to destroy these books. However, I'm still sort of sad to have to say goodbye to these characters, which I really love! I hope the last book in this series won't disappoint me!


XVI by Julia Karr
(Amazon / Goodreads)

Goodreads description:

Nina Oberon's life is pretty normal: she hangs out with her best friend, Sandy, and their crew, goes to school, plays with her little sister, Dee. But Nina is 15. And like all girls she'll receive a Governing Council-ordered tattoo on her 16th birthday. XVI. Those three letters will be branded on her wrist, announcing to all the world—even the most predatory of men—that she is ready for sex. Considered easy prey by some, portrayed by the Media as sluts who ask for attacks, becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear. That is, until right before her birthday, when Nina's mom is brutally attacked. With her dying breaths, she reveals to Nina a shocking truth about her past—one that destroys everything Nina thought she knew. Now, alone but for her sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer.

I'd seen this book around on other blogs loads of times, but I never bothered to read the description - I figured this would be a book about the 16th century, and I don't really like historical fiction, so I just skipped past it. (Which was a pretty stupid assumption, now that I think about it.) But then I did read the description, and it sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it!

Fade by Lisa McMann
(Amazon / Goodreads)

I'm not posting a description for this book as this is a sequel and I don't want to spoil Wake for anyone. Here's the Goodreads description for Wake instead:

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

I recently read Wake and really liked it, so I'm excited to read the second part of the trilogy!

Love You Hate You Miss You by Elzabeth Scott

Goodreads description:

It's been seventy-five days. Amy's sick of her parents suddenly taking an interest in her. And she's really sick of people asking her about Julia. Julia's gone now, and she doesn't want to talk about it. They wouldn't get it, anyway. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to have your best friend ripped away from you. They wouldn't understand what it feels like to know it's your fault.
Amy's shrink thinks it would help to start a diary. Instead, Amy starts writing letters to Julia. But as she writes letter after letter, she begins to realize that the past wasn't as perfect as she thought it was—and the present deserves a chance too.

I hate to admit it, but I have not read anything by Elizabeth Scott. I know her writing is supposed to be great, but the plots usually only sounded average to me. Love You Hate You Miss You sounds pretty interesting, though, and If I like this one, I'll probably read her other books too!

What was in your mailbox this week?

7 comments:

  1. I just finished reading XVI and I loved it. I won't say any more... don't want to spoil it for you.

    I got a lot of library books this week. I'd best get cracking and read them before they're due back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely loved Fade. I really need too get the third one, because I loved the story line. XVI looks like such a good book. Looks like you had an amazing book week! I hope you enjoy your books.

    Chelsea @ Rand0m Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Elizabeth Scott yet either, but have quite a few of her books on my list. I hope you enjoy Fade! That's a great series. :)

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FADE is fantastic - hope you enjoy it! And XVI is one of my choices for the Debut Author Challenge this year, so I can't wait to hear what you think. Happy reading!

    My IMM: http://maggiesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-my-mailboxread-this-week_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heey
    XVI sounds AMAZING!! Where did you get it?
    I'm a new follower! If you have the time, hop over to my answer:
    http://universeinwords.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-my-mailbox.html

    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really need to read some elizabeth scott

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed Fade very much glad you received that one.

    I love the covers!
    here's what I got IMM
    http://paranormallyromanced.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-my-mailbox-5.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I love to hear what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...